(awesome mix-tape picture found here)
A couple of people commented on my anniversary post about the beauty of mix tapes, and Dad Who Writes even requested to know what might be on some of the ones that Ted made me back in the day. So I dug out what’s left of our tape collection, then sorted through to find any that might still have their cases intact. I found just a few. There are a lot of tapes, but many are unmarked, and we no longer have a tape deck. Not even in our cars. OK, I think I still have a walkman somewhere, which I kept JUST in case I wanted to listen to one of these tapes someday. Smart girl. (Actually, Ted just told me we still have a decent tape deck, it’s just not hooked up to anything. I wish we had one in the car.) I might give them a listen sometime soon. I guess I could even get really motivated and make playlists on iTunes that match the songs…hmmm.
Ted and his brother both work (and worked) in radio, and used to make money as mobile DJs at weddings (his brother still does, if anyone ever needs an awesome DJ in the Bay Area), so they had a great collection of LPs and CDs. So his tapes usually rocked. This is one of my favorites. At least, I think so. I can’t tell with the ones that don’t have cases anymore, because the track listings went with the cases.
Anyway, here’s the track listing. No year on the tape, so I don’t know WHEN he made it. It had to be between ’87 and sometime in the early ’90s…we moved in together in ’90, and we still made each other a few tapes, but the majority were when we were ‘wooing’ each other…
- “Blind” ~ Talking Heads
- “2 Much Blood” ~ Rolling Stones
- “The Night You Murdered Love” ~ ABC
- “Just Around the Corner” ~ Cock Robin
- “Heaven Knows” ~ Robert Plant
- “Rev it Up” ~ Jerry Harrison
- “It’s the End of the World” ~ R.E.M.
- “Light of the Moon” ~ Pretenders
- “I Need You” ~ Paul Carrak
- “Jokerman” ~ Bob Dylan
- “Jockey Full of Bourbon” ~ Tom Waits
- “We Close Our Eyes” ~ Oingo Boingo
- “Silver” ~ Echo and the Bunnymen
- “Burn For You” ~ INXS
- “Brand New Cadillac” ~ The Clash
- “Mandinka” ~ Sinead O’Connor
- “One Small Day” ~ Ultravox
- “Second Hand Love” ~ Pete Townshend
- “Don’t Stand So Close to Me ’86” ~ The Police
- “Peace Train” ~ 10,000 Maniacs
- “Skin Deep” ~ The Stranglers
- “Hit that Perfect Beat” ~ Bronski Beat
- “Under Pressure” ~ Queen w/ David Bowie
I know, awesome, right? If I could, I’d mix up a tape for you to actually listen to, because it’s a really good one.