Thursday 13 ~ Some things I’m glad I can do, some things I haven’t bothered to learn, a few I wish I could do.Posted in Memes, Musings, Thursday 13 on 06/25/2009 12:01 am by J
- (Things I can do)
- Ride a horse. Maybe not well (yet), but I’m not afraid of them, and I’m glad that I feel confident enough when I ride that I don’t need someone there guiding me.
- Swim. I love swimming. I know people who are afraid of the water, never learned to swim, and it makes me sad. Such a free feeling, and a way to feel your body in a totally alien environment.
- Cook a nice meal. I truly enjoy cooking, and I’m thankful to my mom for making Richard and me start chipping in with that chore when we were in High School. That gave me some time to get comfortable with it before moving out on my own.
- Ride a bike. I know a couple of people who can’t ride a bike without falling down, and I’m so glad I can ride! I love to ride my bike, and maybe next year, after I’ve recovered from the financial burden of being unemployed for about 6 months this year, after Ted was unemployed for half of last year, I’ll upgrade to the bike I want again.
- Read and write. I know, basic, right? But there are so many people in this world who have not been able to acquire these skills. I don’t know what I would do if I couldn’t read especially, or what kind of job I could get without writing.
- Basic math. I can balance my checkbook to the penny, and any math that has ever been required for me for a job, I can handle. Calculus? Not so much.
(Things I cannot do, and it’s OK)
- Knit. Maya was part of a knitting group in 3rd grade, and I tried to learn in order to help her with that. She put up a bit of a protest, complaining that I was trying to take over ‘her thing’. Which made me thankful that she is so open and able to communicate, because I didn’t really want to learn in the first place.
- Be super crafty. There are people out there, some of whom I am friends with, who will see a game or a picture or a greeting card, and they say, “I’ll bet I could do that”, and they do. Really, not interested. I’ll buy your stuff, though, and I truly admire your efforts and skills.
- Bake. OK, I sort of lie, because I can make a basic lopsided birthday cake from a box, or a yummy crisp, but when it comes to the finer points of baking? Not interested in the least.
- Write stories. I’ve tried my hand at this, and I suck. And it doesn’t bother me in the least. All you writers out there need someone to buy your books and read them, right? I’m your gal.
- Do a cartwheel. I’ve tried, it’s scary, and I don’t care anymore.
(Things I would like to be able to do, but don’t know if I lack the skill or the patience to learn)
- Paint. I think it would be awesome to be able to paint a beautiful picture like the impressionist painters. I’ve thought of taking a class, but I’m afraid my skills and the expense are a deadly combination.
- Play a musical instrument. I’m sure I could learn something, but what I want is instant skill. Sit down at the piano and PLAY, not have to work on strengthening my fingers, figuring things out, all of that. Well, it’s not going to happen. The only way to play piano, or any other instrument, is to work on it. Oh well.
How about you? Any things you’re glad you know how to do? Don’t care about missing out on? Wish you could learn?