Finding happiness in difficult times can be a challenge. I suspect that to be happy when the world is going to hell around you, you either have to be the type of person who is generally happy anyway, or insane. I hope I fall in the former category, and not the latter.
Because yes, I am generally happy. Things are bad right now, with my mom not recovering as well as I wish she would, and all that that may imply; with Ted losing his job and the uncertainty of where that will leave us. With a winter and spring that pretty much kicked our asses. Despite it all, and the stress that is impossible to ignore or completely rid myself of, I’m still fairly happy.
Nance wrote a post the other day, on things that are making her happy right now. I’ll play, and come up with a few of my own.Â (And look, I tagged this as a Thursday Thirteen, and it’s Saturday.Â It made me happy to break the rules.)
- The last day of school was yesterday. Now we have a couple of months to slow down in the mornings, which I’ll admit, I always enjoy.
- I have a good kid. She told me the other day that she is going to miss (almost) all of her teachers very much. She really likes them, and has enjoyed this school year. I wonder if any of them will miss her?
- Ted’s youngest cousin graduated from High School last night. It’s always pretty cool to see that moment in a kid’s life, as they try to figure out a bit more about what adulthood will mean for them.
- I married well. My husband is loving, and makes me laugh. And when things don’t go well, he’s on my side. Which is where he belongs, as my husband, but not everyone is so lucky.
- I like it when we take Genevieve for a walk, and she gets so excited that she spins. She’s kooky like that.
- We’re going to Hawaii in just a few weeks now! I’m really looking forward to that.
- When I told my yoga teacher that Maya probably wouldn’t be coming back for the summer session because of finances, she said, “Bring her anyway, no charge”. I’m thrilled that Maya wants to come with me and take up yoga, and I’m touched by this teacher’s generosity.
- It was cool to get to go to the honor society award presentations last week at Maya’s school. You have to have had a 3.67 for at least one quarter to be included. Color me proud.
- My SIL from Alaska is coming to California, today actually, and she’s going to come visit us next weekend. My brother won’t be here, because of the money and time he has taken with mom stuff, but seeing her will be great.
- I’m having dinner with my girlfriend Neva later this month. I love those dinners.
- I’m going to see my mom today. Though this may be difficult and stressful, maybe it won’t, and I’m happy that I live in the same state with her, so that such visits are at least possible.
- Much as I don’t like the stress of Ted being out of work, I do enjoy having him around. He makes me happy.
- After the graduation ceremony last night, we were joking about quotable quotes that might be used by the person giving the commencement address. Maya won the prize for best quote. “As Captain Kirk once said, ‘Double Dumb Ass On You!’” Well done, young padawan, well done.